Return To Home Page

All Saints,


Jubilee 2007

Celebrating the past 50 years

 and looking forward to the next.



 IN THE BEGINNING by Wyn Papfield

In the 1930's Ideal Homesteads were popping up in all directions in what is now All Saints' Parish. Those of us who came to live in Hanworth about that time, walked across the park to the old church of St. George. For a time the chapel adjoining Butts Cottages, belonging to Whiteleys Jam Factory and built for the use of their employees, was taken over by the parish but was found to be inadequate. The walk to this little chapel in the early morning was a delight in the Spring, as almost the whole length of Hampton Road West on that side was orchards.

In 1935 the then Bishop of Norwich Dr Pollock and the Rev'd Parry Okedon the Rector of St. George's saw the situation. Dr Pollock was born in Woodlawn and, the house know as Woodlawn was altered so that part could be used as a hall during the week and for services on Sunday. Before alterations were in hand, the Guild of Youth and Service had a lot of fun, as some of their meetings were held in this large empty house. It was on November 2nd 1935 that the church hall was dedicated by Bishop Pollock.

Leading up to 1939 our church family grew and most of the one hundred and twenty seats set out for Sunday Service were in use. During the bombing, many folk who had to leave their homes were cared for in Woodlawn, but, come what may, the 8 a.m. Communion Service was always offered on Sunday morning, with dogs, cats and babies around. Evensong was said at 3 p.m. Members of the congregation invited whole families to share their Sunday lunch, some even stayed for weeks, until they could return to their homes.

When the Rev'd Norman Hester came to Woodlawn in 1940, he soon made it clear that it was his hope for a permanent church to be built. It was obvious that nothing could be done until the war was over but we could plan, try to raise some funds and above all pray. In 1941 the Rev'd Norman Hester approached the Bishop for his permission to open a special building fund, to build a permanent church. Socials were held to support the building fund also whist drives. The money raised by Old Time Dances was divided between the building fund and general expenses.

In 1946 the caretaker's salary for keeping the hall clean and dusting one room upstairs was increased to 2s. 6d. per week! Fetes were held in the church grounds and it is interesting to know that in one of the competitions the prize was 1 cwt. of coal.

During the war most of the railings around property were needed by the Salvage Campaign but they spared those at Woodlawn. In 1946 bricks were sold for the Building Fund. When the war was over, choir boy's cassocks were made from blackout material which had previously been used to make curtains to keep in the light.

In 1947 it was planned to erect a Nissen hut, but when the architect Mr. Cachemaille-Day was approached, he made an unusual suggestion, to build the church in two parts, not a Nissen hut but a brick built church. In this way the first part could be completed and in use, while the main part was still under construction. Plans were drawn up but it was three years before they were accepted. Then with grateful thanks we heard that money was available from St. Mary's Haggerston, which had been destroyed by bombs during the war.

In 1949 the Rev'd Norman Hester left to go to St. Michael and All Angels, Mill Hill. The Rev'd W.F. Shergold came to take charge of the parish, and Miss Winifred Kingston was our first parish worker.

Sunday Schools flourished, large classes in the hall and upstairs. At one time there were so many children that five coaches were needed to take them and their mothers or aunts to Littlehampton for an outing. At this time a small room upstairs was furnished as a Chapel, where Mass was celebrated every morning at around 6 a.m. or 7 a.m.

It was on October 9th 1950 that we became known as the Parish of All Saints Hanworth and in March 1951 that work started on the site. The laying of the Foundation Stone was on July 14th 1951. The formal request to lay the Stone was made by Lord Latham, Lord Lieutenant of Middlesex, to the Rt. Rev'd H.C. Montgomery Campbell, Bishop of Guildford.

It was a very exciting time watching the church being built. There was much to do in preparation, but also many willing hands. Some ladies in our congregation will remember the mammoth task making the huge red curtain which hangs behind the Altar in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. It was cut and stitched in one of the rooms upstairs in Woodlawn and then when it was hung in position several ladies sat in a row and hemmed by hand many yards of damask.

July 14th 1951. This was a day not likely to be forgotten by those present. It was a lovely sunny day. Until late on Friday night and during the whole of Saturday morning, members of the congregation were tidying the site and arranging chairs and forms for the service.

Others were baking cakes and goodies for the refreshments afterwards. The little harmonium was brought out from the hall and with sound equipment supplied by Messrs. Grampian (Reproductions) Reproducers Ltd., we were told that the music could be heard as far away as Ellerman Avenue.

Before the stone was laid, one very interesting thing must be mentioned. A small lead casket containing a complete set of Festival Coins, a copy of the Parish Magazine and a Service Paper signed by all members of the P.C.C. was placed in a recess beneath the stone. This very beautiful casket was the work of our sacristan Mr. Stanley Billington.

The collection which amounted to 26 was used to defray the expense of the ceremony and the balance was added to the Sanctuary Fund. It was a very exciting time and on Saturday May 17th 1952 the service of Dedication of the first part of All Saints Hanworth took place. The Lord Bishop of London, Dr. Wand, performed the Act of Dedication, supported by the Bishop of Guildford.

Now at last the congregation had a permanent and purpose-built home. Woodlawn had been our spiritual home for 17 years; when we moved from it, it was with a sense of loss of the familiar and many of us missed it considerably. However, the bright new building was a splendid compensation with its increased space and extra facilities.

During the next five years, as we settled into our new home, work was going on outside - the main church was gradually taking shape. Although a lot of money for the building did come from another church destroyed during the war, the parish still had to raise the rest. We had been given a loan by the Diocese of London, and for some years to come we were busy trying to raise the repayments for this.

The building of a new church is a great event in the life of a parish. The Consecration of the completed building on Saturday, September 28th, 1957 was a splendid occasion. The consecration was performed by the Rt Rev'd Henry Montgomery Campbell, the Bishop of London in the presence of a great crowd of parishioners and visitors, and the first Eucharist in the new Church was celebrated by the Bishop of Kensington.

In the years that have followed the compl'etion of the Church we have tried to make the best possible use of our splendid Church and we have sought to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of our parish with the continuing worship of Almighty God, with an active social life and with care and love for all those who have come into contact with us.

We give thanks to God for the blessings we have received and we pray that we may continue to serve faithfully Christ and his people in this parish.



Back to Jubilee & Historical Archive


Home Stop Press Inside Services Walsingham